Last week I had shared my big plans to finish up my ABC Quilt by this past Friday night, since I was leaving early Saturday to attend the baby shower in Philadelphia. I wasn't sure if it was possible then, but I was willing to do just about anything to make it happen! I can't believe my quilt plans were shared here just a little more than two weeks ago! My brother and his wife, who are expecting in September, had come for a weekend visit in early May and had mentioned that they thought an Alphabet quilt would be nice for the baby, but that they hadn't found any they really liked enough to register for. I was excited right away about the idea of an ABC quilt and so we decided it would be my gift. That week I was super busy will lots of Birthday Crown orders, so I hadn't gotten the chance until several days later to pull the fabrics and draw up my rough sketch. I took lots of pictures to share here that day, and then the next day I was surprised with little Miss Penelope! Who, in all sorts of wonderful and exhausting ways, has completely taken over any pre-Penelope plans I had. So, up until last Tuesday I had just fifteen blocks for this quilt finished! This meant that from last Tuesday-Friday, I would need to make fifteen more blocks (the first fifteen took me two weeks), quilt them all, make all my letter appliques, applique them all, piece my quilt top, make the backing, baste, finish the quilting, make the binding, and bind! All with time to spare to take my photos for sharing here today and as a tutorial I'm really excited to put together later this month!
I can't even tell you how thrilled I am to have finished!!
Having such limited time nudged me into doing some things that I otherwise would have never done that turned out to be so wonderful! Like quilting outside while the kids played in the sprinkler!! Something I plan to do as often as I possibly can this Summer!
And rather than piecing together an extra large, wonky log cabin block for my backing like I had originally planned to do, I decided to make my life easy and chose to go with this large piece of Loulouthi Stockings print that I had on hand instead. I love it!!
Here's a close up of that colorful print, along with the Dark Citron Pure Element binding I chose!
While I was piecing together my quilt blocks, of mostly Riley Blake fabrics & my Little Apples by Aneela Hoey stash, I had already decided that I would take the finished quilt photos at this pretty red barn right outside of town.
I thought the red applique letters, made up of a Riley Blake Little Red Riding Hood print, would really pop!
Once we were there we started walking around and everywhere we turned there was a new place to take a pretty photo! This one is one of my favorites, I had to share it on Instagram right away!
David & Anne love the quilt, thank goodness!! Actually they've decided to plan the rest of the nursery around the quilt, which completely overwhelms me with joy! And, also means a pillow or two might have to be made by September!! This is definitely one quilt I plan to make again. It was really fun and I'm so excited to share the how-to soon!
A few project notes, since I'm always too excited when I share a finished quilt post to usually remember! -- Finished quilt measures 50"x60," it's made in the quilt-as-you-go method I share a tutorial for here, I used the iron-on fabric adhesive Heat n Bond Feather Lite for easy applique, and Aurifil 50wt for all my piecing quilting, and binding, the fabric notes can be found in this post. I hope to have the tutorial finished this month, so stay tuned!!
I have so much to blog about this week, I've really gotten behind with the new puppy, and so much to do today, including a little chat with the amazing Pat Sloan on her radio show!!
Happy quilting & Happy Monday, friends!! ♥, Maureen